- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Job Search Central
Free Job Training for Commercial Drivers
Brooklyn Workforce Innovations helps jobless and working poor New Yorkers establish careers in sectors that offer good wages and opportunities for advancement.
Currently BWI offers free job training programs in four industries: commercial driving, telecommunications cable installation, TV and film production, and skilled woodworking.
Red Hook on the Road (RHOR) is a free job training program at Brooklyn Workforce Innovations. RHOR helps unemployed and low-income New Yorkers start good careers in commercial driving. After four weeks of classroom and behind-the-wheel training, RHOR students are prepared to take the NYS CDL (Commercial Drivers License) road test. Once licensed, RHOR places graduates in a variety of jobs driving school buses, coaches, Access-A-Ride vehicles, and trucks.
Since the program’s launch in 1995, RHOR has trained more than 1000 graduates and placed drivers with hundreds of companies. RHOR maintains a consistently high pass rate (90% or higher) on the NYS commercial driver’s license road test. Virtually every graduate who passes the road test finds employment as a commercial driver.
Red Hook on the Road accepts new students year round.
- Red Hook is a free 4 week intensive hands-on training program that will help you earn the NYS CDL and find work as a commercial driver.
- Red Hook provides behind-the-wheel training to drive Class B/BP/BPS commercial vehicles.
- Job placement assistance is available for 2+ years after graduation so you can advance into better positions with higher pay.
To be eligible you must meet all of the following criteria:
- Live in New York City & be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
- 21 years or older
- Have a clean, valid NY State Driver’s License for at least 2 years with no more than 2 points or one suspension or one conviction showing on the driver record. No combination of the above is allowed. Also, no speeding tickets or D.U.I.s.
- Obtain and submit a driver record from the DMV that must be less than 30 days old.
- Able to attend training Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Be unemployed and have a low income or receive public assistance.
Brooklyn Workforce Innovations welcomes individuals with past criminal convictions to apply.
How to Apply
New Red Hook on the Road classes start every month. To learn more call 718-237-4846.
For more information on free job training programs and other occupations, please visit Job Search Central, Science, Industry and Business Library online or in person at 188 Madison Avenue at 34th Street.