- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Job Search Central
Workforce 1 Veterans Career Center: Getting Veterans Back to Work
Starting on July 9th 2012, New York City Workforce 1 opens the doors to a dedicated Workforce 1 Veterans Career Center in Manhattan. This Career Center is for vets and run by vets and is the first of its kind in America. Mayor Bloomberg said, "We hope it will serve as a model for what other cities can do." He also stated "It's our turn to stand up for those who stood up for our nation." He has pledged to place 1,200 veterans in private sector jobs this year.
Former Army Staff Sgt. Anthony Morvillo is in charge of this Career Center. Years ago when he came home after his deployment to Afghanistan, he was unsuccessful in getting a job in the private sector. He went back to college and got his Master's degree in Business Administration.
Morvillo's military experience, business administration education and exposure to the private sector's hiring practice will empower him to become a well qualified service provider to veterans. His ability to apply his knowledge and experience to help veterans can be demonstrated in his empathetic comments as follows:
"Officers know how to manage people, how to make sure information goes down the line. But even infantry soldiers have huge responsibility, handling thousands of dollars of sensitive, expensive equipment, for example. They have discipline, they place attention to detail, they have time management skills, they understand hierarchy, and they're used to working in a culturally diverse setting. And they put the organization's need above themselves."
"The center's goal is, we're not just here to say we'll find you a job, bye. We understand there are barriers for a soldier, maybe he or she only finished high school, maybe their rent is in arrears, maybe they need training, or have physical or mental health issues. We're going to use a very holistic approach."
The following information is from Workforce 1 Career blog.
Starting on July 9th, Workforce 1 Veterans Career Center, staffed by veterans, will:
- Help you leverage the leadership, skills, and experience you gained in the military to improve your job search
- Lead workshops covering topics, such as career exploration, job readiness, resume development, and interview skills
- Assist you in accessing education, training opportunities, and other benefits
- Connect you to job opportunities with employers committed to hiring veterans
- Refer you to the right agency, community partner, and/or veteran serving organizations for resources beyond employment
- Follow up with you regularly
Before you visit this center, remember to:
- Dress professionally
- Bring an official form of identification
- Bring proof of military service, such as your DD-214 or NGD-22, if available
- Carry a hard copy of your resume
- Call ahead to learn more or schedule an appointment
Workforce 1 Veterans Career Center is at 60 Madison Avenue, 7th Floor, between East 26th Street and 27th Street, New York 10010. (Phone number to come) Open Monday - Friday 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM.
Directions: By subway, take the 6, N, or R train to 28 Street.
By buse, take the X1 to Avenue of the Americas/West 23rd Street, the X7 to 5 Ave./28 Street, the M01 to Madison Ave./East 27 Street, or the M23 to East 27 Street/Broadway.