- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Stuff for the Teen Age
Summer Reading Kick-Off: Top Chef Edition
What do you get when you combine 11 teenagers, two brave judges, and a shopping bag filled with after-school snacks? Muhlenberg Library’s first annual “Top Chef” competition!
Last Friday, teens at Muhlenburg Library used everyday food to make extra-ordinary after school snacks. The results were simply delicious! (Most of the time.)
To host a “Top Chef” program, you’ll need a grab bag of snacks (the more random they are... the more interesting the finished products will be!), and a variety of utensils, plates, cups, and napkins. Make sure you have a solid time limit for snack assembly. The snacks should be judged by taste and presentation, with prizes given to the top three chefs. All in all, it's a great way to start the summer!
Top Five Lessons Learned:
- Make sure your chefs wash their hands before starting; this should have been obvious to me but it wasn’t till much too late.
- Have extras of everything... spoons especially!
- Use a tablecloth! Things get messy when you are rushed.
- If you are the judge, make sure you buy snacks that you’ll want to eat... in every combination. I really wish I didn’t have to try a honey and cheddar cheese combination, but I did.
- Embrace the mess. You can prep all you want, but it's going to get messy anyway.