- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
The library is no stranger to babies, toddlers, moms and dads. For many expecting parents, right after leaving the clinic or doctor's office the very next stop is the public library, where resources abound on studying the stages of pregnancy, the essentials of parenting, and sharing with other moms and dads the joys and anxieties of childbirth.
The following list is by no means exhaustive, but should be considered a general guide on well-trusted books and websites known for credibility on pregnancy, mothering and child care.
- What to Expect Before You're Expecting by Heidi Murkoff & Sharon Mazel
- What to Expect When You're Expecting by Heidi Murkoff, Arlene Eisenberg & Sandee Hathaway
- What to Expect: Eating Well When You're Expecting by Heidi Murkoff with Sharon Mazel
- What to Expect the First Year by Heidi Murkoff, Arlene Eisenberg & Sandee Hathaway
- The Whole Pregnancy Handbook: An Obstetrician's Guide to Integrating Conventional and Alternative Medicine, Before, During and After Pregnancy by Joel M. Evans with Robin Aronson
- The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help your Baby Sleep Longer by Harvey Karp and on DVD: The Happiest Baby on the Block
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding revised and edited by Judy Torgus & Gwen Gotsch
- Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care by Benjamin Spock
- Laugh and Learn About Childbirth (DVD)
- Laugh and Learn About Breastfeeding (DVD)
- My Pregnancy Pocket Guide by Aubrey Wade
- Web MD Pregnancy Center
- NYPL's Best of the Web for Women's Health
- American Pregnancy Association
- Mayo Clinic's Pregnancy Week by Week
- What to Expect - the Web Site!
For more information and resources, ask your librarian today!
Special thanks to Anna Culbertson for her many contributions to this post!