- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
The Reader's Den: "The Death of Ivan Ilyich" Discussion Questions
I hope you have enjoyed reading The Death of Ivan Ilyich. Please share your thoughts and favorite excerpts about story or Leo Tolstoy and take a moment to consider and discuss any of the questions posted below.
- In the beginning of the story we read of Ivan's friends and family's reactions to his death. Who shows compassion for Ivan? Why do you think Tolstoy chose this/these characters?
- Ivan wants to know why he is afflicted. Do you think Tolstoy is suggesting a cause-and-effect relationship between Ivan's suffering and the life he has led?
- Is a theme of this story more about how Ivan lived or how he died?
- What is Tolstoy's attitude toward medicine and the medical profession?
- Is this story optimistic?
- Does Ivan find redemption from wretchedness?