Click to search the Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library Skip Navigation

The New York Public Library will be closed on Sunday, April 20.

126 Years Ago, a Gift to German Americans

Share

On December 8, 1884 the Ottendorfer Branch opened its doors to the public.

You can relive that day 126 years ago thanks to this article, "Mrs. Ottendorfer’s Gift, The New Branch of the New York Free Circulating Library" which appeared in The New York Times on December 7, 1884.

When Anna Ottendorfer, who along with her husband owned the German American newspaper Staats-Zeitung, purchased a plot to build a German Dispensary she was offered the adjoining lot. Mrs. Ottendorfer then decided to build a public library that would offer books in both German and English to the community. Sadly she passed away only months before the completion of the branch. Today the portraits of both Mr. and Mrs. Ottendorfer can be seen on the first floor of the branch. 

 Oswald Ottendorfer., Digital ID 1806064, New York Public Library

Comments

Patron-generated content represents the views and interpretations of the patron, not necessarily those of The New York Public Library. For more information see NYPL's Website Terms and Conditions.

Post new comment