- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
On Display: Sewing
Are you into reality shows? Maybe not, but what about designing your own clothes or choosing unique pieces of clothing? Then this is a post for you!
The season finale of Project Runway season 8 has come and gone.
Did you have an opportunity to watch the finale? Were you wowed by their collections? What did you think?
Don't get intimidated by the contestants’ collections displayed at Fashion Week, get inspired!
Check out some of the sewing books we have on display:
- Sewing with Fabulous Vintage Fabrics
- 49 Sensational Skirts
- 200 Sewing tips, Techniques & Trade Secrets
- Make Your Own Patterns
You can find books on this topic at any library by looking on the shelves under Dewey Decimal number 646.
Just FYI - Tim Gunn was the guest host at the The New York Public Library's Fifth Annual Anti-Prom. You can check out the video below.
Books by Tim Gunn:
- Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste, & Style
- Gunn's Golden Rules: Life's Little Lessons For Making It Work
Books by Nina Garcia:
- The One Hundred: A Guide to the Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own
- The Style Strategy: A Less-is-More Approach to Staying Chic and Shopping Smart
- The Little Black Book of Style
With a little dedication and a New York Public Library card you might able to make it on to the 15th season of Project Runway. If the idea of Nina Garcia and Michael Kors poking fun at your work on the runway doesn't appeal to you, you could just make some handbags and sell them on Etsy.
Check out what teens from New York City 's High School of Fashion Industries interpreted glam as they created outfits for The New York Public Library's Anti-Prom 2010 “Glam-Prom."