I would choose to have only 70 degree days throughout the summer, and a light breeze wafting through the air, plus a New York City to live in just as it is—but with affordable rents in midtown. Wouldn’t you? Unfortunately, these aren't choices I can make. But there is a world of choices that we can make to make our lives better, and to make an informed choice we should hear from the experts first.
Those over 50, or perhaps helping an older friend or family member with care and/or information, may want to come to one of the Consumer Choices Summer Seminars being held in public libraries in Manhattan and Staten Island over the next few weeks. Several experts will be speaking about topics including:
You will also hear from a speaker from the NYC Department for the Aging about some New York City programs for people with limited income. And a representative from the State Consumer Protection Board will inform us about scams—computer, phone, and mail—and how you can choose not to become a victim of predators, as well as what steps to take if you are victimized.
There will be adaptive F.M. listening devices, including loops, available at these seminars, and all locations are accessible to people using wheelchairs.
Come—so you can make the best choices!
- Thursday, Aug. 12, 5-6:30 p.m. Bloomingdale Library, 150 West 100th Street, Manhattan
- Friday, Aug. 13, 10:30a.m.-12 noon Countee Cullen Library, 104 West 136th St. (near Lenox), Manhattan
- Friday, Aug. 13, 2 p.m.-3:30 p.m. Macomb’s Bridge Library, 2650 Adam Clayton Powell Blvd. (bet. W. 152nd-153rd Sts.), Manhattan
- Monday, Aug. 16, 10:30 a.m.-12 noon New Dorp Library, 309 New Dorp Lane, Staten Island
- Monday, Aug. 16, 2-3:30 p.m. Richmondtown Library, 200 Clarke Ave. (at Amber St.), Staten Island
- Monday, Aug. 23, 1-2:30 p.m. Riverside Library, 127 Amsterdam Ave. (at W. 65th St.), Manhattan
- Monday, Aug. 23, 4-5:30 p.m. St. Agnes Library, 444 Amsterdam Ave. (near 81st St.), Manhattan
- Wednesday, August, 25, 1-2:30 p.m. Roosevelt Island Library, 524 Main Street, Roosevelt Island
- Tuesday, Aug. 31, 4-5:30 p.m. Mulberry Street Library, 10 Jersey St. (bet. Lafayette & Mulberry), Manhattan