- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Reader's Den: Discussion Questions for "The Thirteenth Tale"
I hope everyone has been enjoying The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. The following are some questions to think about as you finish up the novel. These are just suggestions, so feel free to raise your own questions or highlight passages in the novel that you'd like to discuss further.
- In what ways does 19th century literature affect the telling of The Thirteenth Tale?
- Why do you think Vida changes her storytelling from third person (he, she) to first person (I)? Does this strengthen the novel?
- How do books, novels, and stories play an important role in this book?
- Discuss the role of twins in The Thirteenth Tale.
- In what ways are Vida Winter and Margaret Lea similar?
- What were some memorable scenes in the novel?