4 patchin place, a few steps from the jefferson market library just off 10th street, is the former residence of poet e.e. cummings (october 14, 1894 – september 3, 1962), who played a role in saving the jefferson market courthouse building.
the jefferson market courthouse closed in 1945 and after remaining vacant for many years was slated for demolition. In the late 1950s historic preservationist margot gayle enlisted the help of jefferson market neighbors including longtime village reseident e.e cummings to rally behind the idea of saving the former courthouse building. the jefferson market branch library opened to the public on november 27, 1967 and was declared a national historic landmark in 1977.
margot gayle died on september 28, 2008. last year the jefferson market library celebrated its 40th anniversary with a party attended by gayle who, at 100 years of age, was the guest of honor.
today is the 114th anniversary of the birth of e.e. cummings.