Additional Resources Relating to Rudy Garcia's Interview
This page is under construction. Check back for more informations and links!
Online Resources Relating to Afghanistan and Iraq Wars:
- From Gale US History in Context, an article about the War on Terrorism. This article covers both the Afghanistan and Iraq Wars.
- Both Credo Reference and Gale US History in Context provide topic pages with additional information on the Iraq War. For access to more articles and images, refer to the Iraq War Topic Page from Credo Reference. For primary sources, videos, and audio, refer to the Iraq War Topic Page on Gale US History in Context.
- An overview of the Afghanistan War complete with links to articles, books, images, and more is available through Credo Reference. Or, refer to an article about the war from Gale US History in Context.
Books from NYPL's catalog:
- Iraq War by Rodney Carlisle, published 2005, gives an overview of the Iraq War.
- John Keegan's 2004 book entitled The Iraq War also looks at this war, but Keegan gathers information by conducting interviews with various government leaders for a different perspective.
- The Iraq War: Causes and Consequences is an anthology that views the war through the various lenses of international powers and the impact the war has on the greater world.
- Tom Ripley looks at the United States and NATO's air operations in his book entitled Air War Afghanistan.
- Love and War in Afghanistan attempts to look at this war through the eyes of the Afghan people, some of which has spent most of their lives in war mode.
Items Related to Stories Told in Interview:
- Be inspired at an air show just like Garcia was by attending the annual Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach State Park. It occurs on Memorial Day weekend and more information on the show can be here on their website. Or, go back to the original airplanes and take a trip to Old Rhinebeck Aerodome and see a show!
- Garcia was an aircraft load master. Learn more about Garcia's job at the Air Force's official website.
- Garcia was stationed at McChord Air Force Base. Visit the base's official website or read about the whole history of the base at the McChord Air Museum website.
- One of Garcia's mission was transporting doctors from Hawaii to the jungles of Guam when the Korean airplane crashed. This event took place in 1997 and The New York Times article explains what happened. For a brief overview, refer to the This Day in History article from the History Channel.
- Garcia talked about his plane being sent to transport the medical team when the Khobar Towers were attacked. LaTanga Blair also mentioned the Khobar Towers in her interview. This New York Times Article by Philip Shenon entitled "23 U.S. Troops Die in Truck Bombing in Saudi Base" explains this attack occurred on June 25, 1996.
- Garcia was part of an article in the Daily News which explains the NYPL Veteran Oral History project.