Bakeless, John Edwin, 1894-
Manuscripts and Archives Division
- 29.9 linear feet (74 boxes)
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Collection contains manuscript and typescript drafts of Bakeless's writings; research notes and papers on militaryintelligence; general and family correspondence; and personal papers including diaries, scrapbooks and other miscellany. Bulk of the collection consists of writings, research notes and papers reflecting his career as author,historian and researcher. Included are drafts of several of his published works and unpublished writings concerningpopular culture in America and a history of the Missouri Pacific Railroad. Also, research notes and papers relatingto his search for source materials for his books on military intelligence during the American Revolution and the U.S. Civil War. Remainder of the papers is correspondence with historians, scholars, publishers, librarians, archivists, family members, personal friends, and others; personal diaries and scrapbooks; military service records; and miscellany including a diary kept by his father, Oscar H. Bakeless.
John Edwin Bakeless (1894-1978) was an American author, historian, journalist, soldier, teacher, and amateur horticulturist. His journalistic career included working for various magazines and newspapers. He also taught journalism and literary criticism at New York University and other institutions. His military career covered the years from 1917 to 1953; he served as an intelligence officer in World War II. As an historian and author he is best known for biographies of Christopher Marlowe, Lewis and Clark, Daniel Boone, and George Rogers Clark, and historical studies on early America, economic causes of war, and military intelligence.
Controlled Access Terms
- Bakeless, John Edwin, 1894-
- Boone, Daniel, 1734-1820.
- Clark, George Rogers, 1752-1818.
- Clark, William, 1770-1838.
- Lewis, Meriwether, 1774-1809.
- Marlowe, Christopher, 1564-1593.
- Bakeless family.
- Harvey family.
- Missouri Pacific Railroad Company -- History.
- History -- Research.
- Military intelligence.
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Military intelligence.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Military intelligence.
- United States -- Social life and customs -- History.
Additional Creator Names
- Bakeless, Katherine Little, b. 1895.
- Bakeless, Oscar H.
- Boyd, Julian P. (Julian Parks), 1903-
- Cranwell, John Philips, 1904-
- Davis, W. C. (William C.)
- Eginton, Warren W.
- Eller, Ernest McNeill, 1903-
- Ewers, John Caulfield.
- Fowler, Robert H.
- Hanna, Archibald, 1916-
- Mills, Edward O.
- Maxwell, Ray.
- Moffat, Fraser M.
- Nevins, Allan, 1890-1971.
- Oberholtzer, Ernest C. (Ernest Carl), 1884-1977.
- Partridge, Bellamy, 1877-
- Sellers, Charles Coleman, 1903-
- Smith, Truman.
- Wiley, Bell Irvin, 1906-