Manuscripts and Archives Division
- 2.5 linear feet (4 boxes, 5 v.)
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Collection consists of papers of John Jacob Astor and his grandson and great-grandson. Papers of John Jacob Astor, 1792-1849, include correspondence (some photostats) concerning real estate and other business transactions, legal affairs and family matters; financial records; and 1849 report by executors of Astor's estate. Papers of JohnJacob Astor III and William Waldorf Astor, ca. 1800-1916, chiefly relate to genealogical matters, William Astor's life in England after 1890 and his efforts to obtain a peerage. Also, Astor family album of photographs and drawings, William Astor album of sketches, and Daniel Nebel ledger, 1805-1862.
John Jacob Astor (1763-1848) was an American merchant, furtrader and capitalist. John Jacob Astor, III (1822-1890), financier and philanthropist, was his grandson; and William Waldorf Astor (1848-1929), who became Viscount Astor after moving to England in 1890, was his great-grandson.
Controlled Access Terms
- Astor family.
- Gibbs family.
- Morris family.
- Nobility -- Great Britain.
- Railroads -- New York (State)
- Real property -- New York (State)
- England -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.
- New York (State) -- Commerce.
- Photographic prints.
- Capitalists and financiers.
Additional Creator Names
- Astor, John Jacob, 1763-1848.
- Astor, John Jacob, 1822-1890.
- Astor, William Waldorf Astor, Viscount, 1848-1919.
- Nebel, Daniel.
- Smith, Gerrit, 1797-1874.
- Smith, Peter.