Arnold, Bion J. (Bion Joseph), 1861-1942.
Manuscripts and Archives Division
- 11.9 linear feet (14 boxes, 21 v.)
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Collection consists of mainly engineering papers with somepersonal papers of Arnold. Correspondence, 1918-1922, 1933-1941, includes business letters concerning engineering, railroads and his consulting firm; and personal letters concerning alumni activities at HillsdaleCollege, civic affairs in Chicago, and family matters. Nearly one half of the collection is made up of papers, 1898-1912, relating to Arnold's work for the New York Central Railroad and includes correspondence, reports, maps, specifications, drawings, and photographs. There aresimilar papers for other railroad companies Arnold worked with and scrapbooks concerning electrical engineering and Arnold's consulting work for various cities. Also, biographical papers; appointment and address books, 1887-1902, 1924-1925; engineering notebooks; and personal scrapbooks.
Bion J. Arnold (1861-1942) was an engineer who advised Chicago and other cities on the development of their electric transit systems. He devised the plan for the electrification of Grand Central Terminal in New York City.
Controlled Access Terms
- Arnold, Bion J. (Bion Joseph), 1861-1942.
- Hillsdale College -- Alumni and alumnae.
- Grand Central Terminal (New York, N.Y.)
- Electrical engineering.
- Railroads -- Electrification.
- Transportation -- Illinois -- Chicago.
- Transportation -- New Jersey -- Jersey City.
- Transportation -- California -- Los Angeles.
- Transportation -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Transportation -- Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh.
- Transportation -- California -- San Francisco.
- Technical drawings.
Additional Creator Names
- Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad Company.
- Elgin, Belvidere and Rockford Railroad Company.
- Erie Railroad Company.
- Hillsdale College.
- Illinois Central Railroad Company.
- New York Central and Hudson River Railroad Company.
- Virginian Railway.