- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
American loyalists collection, 1777-1790.
- 18 linear feet (74 v. 36 cm.)
- 25 microfilm reels.
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Collection consists of transcripts and digests from the Audit Office records in the Public Record Office in Londonand from the Royal Institution of Great Britain of the books and papers of the Commission of Enquiry into the losses and services of American loyalists between 1783 and1790. Volumes contain information conveyed to the commissioners to prevent imposition and fraud; examinations and decisions on temporary support claims; calendars of original memorials, vouchers, etc.; and minutes of the commissioners in London and in Nova Scotia.Also, the Commission's reports; claims liquidated; acts ofParliament establishing and regulating the Commission; examinations and determinations of claimants in Nova Scotia and London; and Royal Institution transcripts of memorials, correspondence, accounts, returns, paylists, etc., 1778-1783. The transcripts were made between 1898 and 1903 for the New York Public Library.
Controlled Access Terms
- American loyalists.
- Right of property -- United States.
- Right of property -- Nova Scotia.
- Great Britain -- History -- George III, 1760-1820 -- Claims vs. United States.
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Claims.
Additional Creator Names
- Commission of Enquiry into the Losses and Services of the American Loyalists.
- Great Britain. Public Record Office.
- Royal Institution of Great Britain.