- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
American Legion Willard Straight Post records, 1944-1971.
American Legion. New York. Willard Straight Post No. 842.
- 1 linear foot (1 box)
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Collection consists of the papers of Irving M. Engel as member and commander of Willard Straight Post. Includes correspondence of Engel as chairman of the committee protesting resolutions adopted by the American Legion's National Convention against foreigners and minority groups,1944; supporting the World Government movement, 1946; protesting the Legion's support for the House Committee onUn-American Activities, 1946; supporting the Stratton Billfor Displaced Persons and the Taft-Ellender-Wagner HousingBill, 1948; and urging ratification of the Atlantic Pact, 1949. Also, Engel's miscellaneous general correspondence and papers as commander, 1947-1950.
The Willard Straight Post of the American Legion was established in 1920 in opposition to the philosophy expressed by the leaders of the newly organized National American Legion.
Controlled Access Terms
- United States. Congress. House. Committee on Un-American Activities.
- American Legion. New York. Willard Straight Post No. 842.
- American Veterans Committee.
- North Atlantic Treaty (1949)
- Veterans -- New York (State) -- New York -- Societies, etc.
- Veterans -- United States -- Societies, etc.
- Veterans -- United States -- Political activity.
- Housing -- Law and legislation -- United States.
- International organization.
- International relations.
- Refugees -- Legal status, laws, etc. -- United States.
- Aliens -- United States.
- Minorities -- United States.
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1945-1989.
Additional Creator Names
- Engel, Irving M.
- Bush, Henry McComb.
- Danfield, George.
- Frank, Maurice A.
- Jessup, Philip C. (Philip Caryl), 1897-
- Johnson, Lewis.
- Patrick, Luther.
- Rothschild, Richard C. (Richard Charles), 1895-1986.
- Straight, Michael Whitney.
- Taylor, Telford.