American Committee for the Guidance of Professional Personnel.
Manuscripts and Archives Division
- 3.2 linear feet (8 boxes).
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Records consist of correspondence of David Riesman, mainlywith refugee lawyers, deans of American law schools, legalscholars, and practicing attorneys relative to the organization and funding of the Committee, and the provision of fellowships to refugee lawyers seeking retraining in American law schools. Included are a few fellowship applications and photographs submitted by applicants, budget working papers, and reports. Correspondents include Philip W. Amram, Arthur A. Ballantine, Ernst Fraenkel, Peter Goswyn Franck, Carl J. Friedrich, Rudolph M. Littauer, Walter Mendelsohn, and Edmund M. Morgan.
The American Committee for the Guidance of Professional Personnel was formed in December, 1938, as a result of a meeting in Chicago of the Association of American Law Schools. Its purpose was to provide fellowships in the United States for refugee lawyers, many of Jewish origin, who sought retraining in American law schools. A selection committee was created to screen applicants. David Riesman of the University of Buffalo Law School and later Harvard was its secretary. Other members included Edmund M. Morgan, chairman; Arthur A. Ballantine, treasurer; Carl J. Friedrich; and Philip W. Amram.
Controlled Access Terms
- American Committee for the Guidance of Professional Personnel.
- University of Buffalo. School of Law.
- Association of American Law Schools.
- Lawyers -- United States.
- Lawyers, Foreign -- United States.
- Jewish lawyers -- United States.
- Law schools -- United States -- Societies, etc.
- Law schools -- United States -- Admission.
- Jewish refugees -- United States.
- Law -- United States -- Fellowships, scholarships, etc.
Additional Creator Names
- Riesman, David, 1909-
- Morgan, Edmund Morris, 1878-1966.
- Amram, Philip Werner, 1900-
- Ballantine, Arthur A. (Arthur Atwood), b. 1883.
- Fraenkel, Ernst, 1898-
- Friedrich, Carl J. (Carl Joachim), 1901-
- Littauer, Rudolph M.
- Franck, Peter Goswyn.
- Mendelsohn, Walter.