- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
American Association for Adult Education records, 1939-1940.
American Association for Adult Education.
- 1.3 linear feet (3 boxes).
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Records focus on a radio survey concerning radio listenerswho used radio for educational purposes. Survey was conducted across the United States and abroad, although responses from Europe were scarce because of World War II.The A.A.A.E. cooperated with the Federal Radio Education Committee who conducted the study. Both the A.A.A.E. and the Federal Radio Education Committee were headed by FrankErnest Hill during this period. The Federal Radio Education Committee, in turn, was headed by the United States Office of Education. Two types of questionnaires were sent out. The first type, sent to radio stations, colleges, libraries, all C.C.C. camps, and YMCAs, was designed to locate "listening groups". The second survey was sent to the "listening groups" to establish information about those groups. Results were used to promote better education by radio. America's Town Meeting of the Air, a radio program, as well as Levering Tyson, director of the National Advisory Council on Radio in Education, took part in the survey.
The American Association for Adult Education (A.A.A.E.) was founded in 1926 as an organization to promote continuing education and education for adults. The Association was absorbed by the Adult Education Association of the U.S.A. (A.E.A.) in 1951.
Controlled Access Terms
- United States. Office of Education.
- American Association for Adult Education.
- YMCA of the USA.
- Federal Radio Education Committee.
- Civilian Conservation Corps (U.S.)
- National Advisory Council on Radio in Education (U.S.)
- America's town meeting of the air (Radio program)
- Adult education -- United States.
- Continuing education -- United States.
- Radio in education -- United States.
- Adult education -- United States -- Societies, etc.
- Mass media surveys -- United States.
- Adult education and state -- United States.
- Radio programs -- United States.
Additional Creator Names
- Hill, Frank Ernest, 1888-1969.
- Tyson, Levering.