Allen, Horace Newton, 1858-1932.
Manuscripts and Archives Division
- Originals: 9 linear feet (7 boxes, 20 v.).
- Copies: 10 microfilm reels.
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Microfilm must be used in lieu of originals.
Collection consists of correspondence, diaries for 1883 to1903, writings, speeches, and other papers reflecting Allen's career as a clergyman, medical missionary in Korea,secretary of the Korean Legation in Washington and of the American Legation in Korea, and United States Minister to Korea. Includes papers relating to foreign commercial concessions in Korea, the attempt of the Korean emperor toenlist American aid against Japan, and the Russo-Japanese War. Also, miscellaneous papers relating mainly to Korea including photographs, clippings, copies of Korean and Japanese newspapers, and other printed matter. Correspondents include Samuel L. Clemens, John Hay, and Horace Porter.
Horace Newton Allen (1858-1932) was an American missionary,diplomat and physician.
Controlled Access Terms
- United States. Legation (Korea).
- Korea. Legation (United States).
- Missions, Medical -- Korea.
- Russo-Japanese War, 1904-1905.
- Diplomatic and consular service, American -- Korea.
- Korea -- Commerce.
- Korea -- Pictorial works.
- Korea -- Diplomatic and consular service -- United States.
- Korea -- Foreign relations -- Japan.
- Korea -- Foreign relations -- United States.
- Korea -- Religious life and customs.
- United States -- Foreign relations -- Korea.
Additional Creator Names
- Twain, Mark, 1835-1910.
- Hay, John, 1838-1905.
- Porter, Horace, 1837-1921.