Alfange, Dean, 1897-1989.
Manuscripts and Archives Division
- 4.8 linear feet (8 boxes)
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Collection consists of correspondence, speeches, articles by Alfange, newsclippings, and other materials documentinghis career as a lawyer and political activist. Correspondence, 1929-1988, reflects Alfange's involvement and influence in political matters and his insight into the problems of immigrant communities. Articles and speeches, 1940-1966, include assorted writings of Alfange and Augustus L. Richards, and addresses Alfange made at various functions, with phonograph recordings of his more notable speeches. Organizations series, 1927-1970, contains papers from various groups with which Alfange was affiliated; electioncampaign materials, 1952-1974, consist of correspondence, speeches and subject files for presidential and gubernatorial campaigns; memorabilia, 1928-1957, includes photographs, newsclippings and ephemera related to Alfange's career; and letters of Augustus L. Richards, 1943-1951, to Alfange and others concern political matters.
Dean Alfange (1897-1989), lawyer, politician and politicaladvisor to U.S. presidents and New York governors, was instrumental in the formation of the Liberal Party in 1944. He was active in the Greek-American community from 1934 to 1975 and was involved in human rights issues, particularly for immigrant groups in the U.S.
Controlled Access Terms
- Alfange, Dean, 1897-1989.
- Political campaigns -- United States.
- Greek Americans.
- Immigrants -- United States.
- Jewish-Arab relations -- History -- 1917-1948.
- Jewish refugees.
- New York (State) -- Politics and government -- 20th century.
- United States -- Politics and government -- 20th century.
- Photographic prints.
- Political activists.
Additional Creator Names
- Ford, Gerald R., 1913-
- Hoover, Herbert, 1874-1964.
- Hoover, J. Edgar (John Edgar), 1895-1972.
- Lodge, Henry Cabot, 1902-1985.
- Richards, Augustus L.
- Rockefeller, Nelson A. (Nelson Aldrich), 1908-1979.
- Stone, Harlan Fiske, 1872-1946.
- Truman, Harry S., 1884-1972.
- AHEPA (Organization)
- American Labor Party.
- Commission on Critical Choices for Americans.
- Committee to Arm the Jewish State.
- Emergency Committee to Save the Jewish People of Europe.
- Legion of American Unity.
- Liberal Party of New York State.
- New York State Quarter Horse Commission.
- The Ahepan.