Alexander, Robert J. (Robert Jackson), 1918-
Manuscripts and Archives Division
- 6.4 linear feet (10 boxes)
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Access to interviews requires permission of Robert JacksonAlexander.
Collection consists primarily of carbon copies of Alexander's interview summaries. The vast majority of theinterviews concern Central and South America, and the Caribbean. Interviews conducted between 1946-1956 are arranged by country with Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Venezuela being particularly prominent. The rest of the interviews are arranged chronologically. Interviews concerning Central and South America cover a wide range oftopics but concentrate on the labor movement and politicaldevelopments. Other interviews have the same focus but those concerning the United States pertain to socialist parties as well. Also, typescripts of some of Alexander's writings.
Robert Jackson Alexander (1918- ) earned his Ph.D. at Columbia University in 1950, and has taught economics at Rutgers University since 1947. His field of specialization, on which he has written frequently, is labor movements in Central and South America. During his extensive travels through the Americas, Jackson conducted interviews with politicians, labor leaders, diplomats, workers, businessmen, educators, and persons from all walks of life. Alexander wrote summaries of his interviewsand recorded the substance of the conversations. He used the same procedure to record interviews in the United States and other countries.
Controlled Access Terms
- Working class -- Caribbean Area.
- Working class -- Central America.
- Working class -- South America.
- Socialist parties -- United States.
- Socialist parties -- Caribbean Area.
- Socialist parties -- Central America.
- Socialist parties -- South America.
- Caribbean Area -- Economic conditions -- 1945-
- Central America -- Economic conditions.
- South America -- Economic conditions -- 1918-
- Argentina -- Economic conditions -- 1945-1983.
- Brazil -- Economic conditions -- 1945-1964.
- Chile -- Economic conditions -- 1918-1970.
- Venezuela -- Economic conditions -- 1918-1958.
- Caribbean Area -- Politics and government -- 1945-
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1945-1989.
- Central America -- Politics and government -- 1951-1979.
- South America -- Politics and government -- 1830-1980.