Alexander, Jerome, b. 1876.
Manuscripts and Archives Division
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Collection consists of correspondence, 1880-1953, primarily letters exchanged with chemists and physicists, including many Nobel Prize winners, concerning their contributions to Colloid Chemistry: Theoretical and Practical. Correspondents include Mario Ascoli, W. Bancroft, W.M. Bayless, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir William Henry Bragg, Sir William Lawrence Bragg, C. Bridges, A.H. Compton, P. Debye, Albert Einstein, H. Eyring, W.B. Harvey,H.B. Jennings, Alfred Korzybski, E.O. Lawrence, W.J. Mayo,R.A. Millikan, G.B. Pegram, W. Ramsey, A.B. Searle, T. Svedberg, E.C. Urey, E.B. Wilson, and Richard Zsigmondy.
Jerome Alexander (1876-1959) was the pre-eminent American scientist in the field of colloidal chemistry, the study of substances neither in suspension nor solution, which was pertinent to many other areas of chemistry. In addition to translating a seminal work in the field, Richard Zsigmondy's Colloids and the Ultra-Microscope, he wrote Colloid Chemistry (1919), and edited and contributedto Colloid Chemistry: Theoretical and Practical, the seven-volume standard work in the field. He also published poetry and essays.
Controlled Access Terms
- Alexander, Jerome, b. 1876.
- Chemistry, Physical and theoretical.
Additional Creator Names
- Ascoli, Mario.
- Bancroft, Wilder D. (Wilder Dwight), 1867-1953.
- Bayless, W. M.
- Beaverbrook, Max Aitken, Baron, 1879-1964.
- Bragg, William Henry, Sir, 1862-1942.
- Bragg, William Lawrence, Sir, 1890-1971.
- Bridges, C.
- Compton, Arthur Holly, 1892-1962.
- Debye, Peter J. W. (Peter Josef William), 1884-
- Einstein, Albert, 1879-1955.
- Eyring, Harden Romney.
- Jennings, H. B.
- Korzybski, Alfred, 1879-1950.
- Lawrence, Ernest Orlando, 1901-1958.
- Mayo, William James, 1861-1939.
- Millikan, Robert Andrews, 1868-1953.
- Pegram, George Braxton, 1876-1958.
- Ramsey, William, Sir, 1852-1916.
- Searle, Alfred B. (Alfred Broadhead), 1877-1967.
- Svedberg, Theodor, b. 1884.
- Urey, Harold Clayton, 1893-
- Wilson, E. Bright (Edgar Bright), 1908-
- Zsigmondy, Richard.