- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
John Peter Zenger trial collection, 1733-1734.
Alexander, James, 1691-1756.
- .25 linear foot (1 box)
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Collection consists of papers relating to the trial of John Peter Zenger, written or collected by Alexander. Papers contain letters, notes, articles, legal documents,drafts written by William Smith, Zenger's second counsel, and related papers.
James Alexander (1691-1756) was counsel for John Peter Zenger during his trial for libel, 1734-1735, in Mount Vernon, Westchester County, N.Y.
Controlled Access Terms
- Alexander, James, 1691-1756.
- Trials (Libel) -- New York (State)
- Freedom of the press -- New York (State)
- Civil rights -- United States.
- United States -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775.
Additional Creator Names
- Zenger, John Peter, 1697-1746.
- Smith, William, 1697-1769.