Wilde, Oscar, 1854-1900.
Berg Collection of English and American Literature
Restricted access; Berg Collection; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
This is a synthetic collection consisting of manuscripts, correspondence, and two undated notebooks. The manuscripts include holographs and holograph drafts of poems, notes on travel in Greece, portions of "The Pictureof Dorian Gray," an emended manuscript of a play and otherholograph materials. There is also an undated manuscript forgery of "Salome," believed to be in the hand of Fabian Lloyd. The manuscripts also include holographs by Max Beerbohm, one dated 1894, relating to the author. The legal documents include agreements between the author and the American Play Company.
The correspondence includes letters, dating from 1880 to1900, from the author to George Webb Appleton, Frank Harris, Arthur Humphreys, James Stanley Little, Aimee Lowther, E. W. Pratt, John Ruskin, James MacNeill Whistler,and others. There are also letters relating to the author,dating from  to 1932, between various correspondentsincluding Lord Alfred Bruce Douglas, Herman Finck, Theodore Watts-Dunton, Bernard Shaw, Cynthia Stockley, theliterary agency James B. Pinker and son, and others. Thereare letters to Wilde from W. F. Morse, Marie Prescott, John Ruskin, and A. P. Watt and son, dating from 1882 to 1891.
Oscar Wilde was a British poet, playwright, novelist, and critic.
Controlled Access Terms
- Wilde, Oscar, 1854-1900.
- Greece -- Description and travel.
Additional Creator Names
- Appleton, G. Webb (George Webb), 1845-1909.
- Beerbohm, Max, Sir, 1872-1956.
- Douglas, Alfred Bruce, Lord, 1870-1945.
- Finck, Herman, 1872-1939.
- Harris, Frank, 1855-1931.
- Humphreys, Arthur Lee, 1865-1946.
- Little, James Stanley.
- Lowther, Aimee.
- Morse, W. F.
- Pratt, E. W.
- Prescott, Marie.
- Ruskin, John, 1819-1900.
- Shaw, Bernard, 1856-1950.
- Stockley Cynthia, 1883-1936.
- Watts-Dunton, Theodore, 1832-1914.
- Whistler, James McNeill, 1834-1903.
- Wilde, Oscar, 1854-1900. Picture of Dorian Gray.
- American Play Company.
- A. P. Watt and Son.
- James B. Pinker and Son.
- Austrian, Alfred S.. fmo
- Berg, Albert Ashton, 1872-1950. fmo
- Berg, Henry W., 1858-1938. fmo
- Fletcher, Frank, 1870-1954. fmo
- Howe, W. T. H. (William Thomas Hildrup) fmo
- Le Gallienne, Richard, 1866-1947. fmo
- Stetson, John B. (John Batterson), 1884-1952. fmo
- Young, Owen D., 1874- fmo
- American Play Company. fmo