Whittier, John Greenleaf, 1807-1892.
Berg Collection of English and American Literature
This is a synthetic collection that consists of manuscripts and correspondence. The manuscripts comprise poems and a holograph review of Celia Thaxter's "Wreck of the Pocahontas", as well as manuscripts relating to the author by J. R. Lowell, Edmund Clarence Stedman, and Elizabeth H. Whittier. The correspondence includes letterswritten by the author, dating from 1833 to 1892, to William Richardson Dempster, Thomas Donaldson, James T. Fields, Horace Greeley, Lucy Larcom, James R. Osgood, Bayard Taylor, Celia Thaxter, and others. Also present areletters relating to the author, dating from 1889 to 1904, between various correspondents, including Z. S. Davis, Jacob Chester Chamberlain, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Lucy Larcom, George Riker, Susan Hayes Ward, and Walt Whitman. There are letters to Whittier from Thomas Bailey Aldrich, Oliver Wendell Holmes, James Russell Lowell, Charles Sumner, and Bayard Taylor, dating from 1856 to 1890.
John Greenleaf Whittier was an American poet, essayist, journalist, politician, and writer of hymns and antislavery literature.
Controlled Access Terms
- Whittier, John Greenleaf, 1807-1892.
- Thaxter, Celia, 1835-1894. Wreck of the Pocahontas.
Additional Creator Names
- Aldrich, Thomas Bailey, 1836-1907.
- Chamberlain, Jacob Chester, 1860-1905.
- Davis, Z. S.
- Dempster, William R. (William Richardson), 1809-1871.
- Donaldson, Thomas, 1843-1898.
- Fields, James Thomas, 1817-1881.
- Greeley, Horace, 1811-1872.
- Holmes, Oliver Wendell, 1809-1894.
- Larcom, Lucy, 1824-1893.
- Lowell, James Russell, 1819-1891.
- Osgood, James R. (James Ripley), 1836-1892.
- Riker, George.
- Stedman, Edmund Clarence, 1833-1908.
- Sumner, Charles, 1811-1874.
- Taylor, Bayard, 1825-1878.
- Thaxter, Celia, 1835-1894.
- Ward, Susan Hayes, 1838-1924.
- Whitman, Walt, 1819-1892.
- Whittier, Elizabeth Hussey, 1815-1864.
- Howe, W. T. H. (William Thomas Hildrup) fmo
- Perry, Bliss, 1860-1954. fmo
- Young, Owen D., 1874- fmo