Hunt, Leigh, 1784-1859.
Berg Collection of English and American Literature
This is a synthetic collection that includes manuscripts and correspondence. The manuscripts include holographs ofpoems; notes; "Recollections and Memorandums Written during my Imprisonment in Surrey Jail"; an account of an amateur performance at Manchester for the benefit of LeighHunt; a manuscript poem by Charles Lamb in Lamb's hand; a translation by Hunt of Torquato Tasso's poem, "Amyntas"; and miscellaneous autograph material.
The correspondence includes letters, dating from 1806 to, from the author to Arthur Brooke, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Lord Byron, Henry Colburn, John Forster,R. H. Horne, Marianne Hunt (Leigh Hunt's wife), Henry Moxon, Charles Ollier, Edmund Ollier, and others. The correspondence also includes letters relating to the author, dating from 1772 to 1883, between various correspondents including William Harrison Ainsworth, Thornton Leigh Hunt, George Henry Lewes, A. S. Procter, and Mrs. Russell Sturgis, as well as letters to and from members of the Hunt family, relations in America and others, most of the letters relating to property at Port Royal near Philadelphia, left to Leigh Hunt and his brothers through his mother, Mary Shewall. There are letters to Hunt from Robert Browning, Lord Byron, Charles Dickens, John Hunt, John Keats, Charles Lamb, Walter Savage Landor, Percey Bysshe Shelley, Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin Shelley, William Makepeace Thackeray, and others dating from 1813 to 1859.
Leigh Hunt was an English poet, essayist, literary critic,journalist, translator, editor and prose writer during theearly nineteenth century. He spent two years in prison, from 1813 to 1815, after slandering the Prince Regent in an Examiner editorial. Hunt was the editor of the Examinerfrom 1808 until 1821.
Controlled Access Terms
- Hunt, Leigh, 1784-1859.
Additional Creator Names
- Ainsworth, William Harrison, 1805-1882.
- Brooke, Arthur.
- Browning, Elizabeth Barrett, 1806-1861.
- Browning, Robert, 1812-1889.
- Byron, George Gordon Byron, Baron, 1788-1824.
- Colburn, Henry, d. 1855.
- Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870.
- Forster, John, 1812-1876.
- Horne, R. H. (Richard H.), 1802-1884.
- Hunt, Marianne Kent, 1787-1857.
- Hunt, John, 1775-1848.
- Hunt, Thornton Leigh, 1810-1873.
- Keats, John, 1795-1821.
- Lamb, Charles, 1775-1834.
- Landor, Walter Savage, 1775-1864.
- Lewes, George Henry, 1817-1878.
- Moxon, Henry.
- Ollier, Charles, 1788-1859.
- Ollier, Edmund, 1827-1886.
- Procter, Anne Benson, 1799-1888.
- Shelley, Percy Bysshe, 1792-1822.
- Sturgis, Julia Overing Boit.
- Thackeray, William Makepeace, 1811-1863.
- Wollstonecraft, Mary, 1759-1797
- Gaston, E. P.. fmo
- Howe, W. T. H. (William Thomas Hildrup) fmo
- Young, Owen D., 1874- fmo