Hawthorne, Sophia Peabody, 1809-1871.
Berg Collection of English and American Literature
Restricted access; Berg Collection; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
This is a synthetic collection that consists of manuscripts and a typescript, correspondence, diaries for 1829 and 1859, seventeen journals kept from 1829 to 1869, notebooks, commonplace books, financial documents, and pictorial works. The collection includes seventeen original pencil drawings dating from 1832 to 1833, holograph manuscripts of poems, copies of essays, riddles,and other miscellaneous manuscript material. The collection also includes one emended typescript for LouiseHall Tharp's "The Peabody Sisters of Salem."
The bulk of the collection includes correspondence by Sophia Peabody Hawthorne to Mary Wilder White Foote, to her sister-in-law Elizabeth M. Hawthorne; to her son Julian; to her husband Nathaniel Hawthorne; to her daughter Una; to her sister Mary T. Peabody Mann; to her mother Elizabeth Palmer Peabody; to her sister Elizabeth; to her brother George; to her father, Dr. Nathaniel Peabody; to William D. Ticknor; and to others. The lettersalso include correspondence from N. G. Allen to Mary Peabody Mann; from S. S. Forbes to Mary Peabody Mann; fromSamuel Foster Haven to the author's sister, Elizabeth Palmer Peabody; from R. H. Lathrop to the author's daughter, Una Hawthorne; from John Louis O'Sullivan to William Prichard; and others relating to Sophia Peabody Hawthorne. There are letters to Sophia Hawthorne from Henry Arthur Bright, Susan Cabot, Mary Abigail Dodge, Ralph Waldo Emerson, James Thomas Fields, Anna B. Greene, Lydia Haven, members of the Hawthorne family including Elizabeth Manning, Julian, Maria Louisa, Nathaniel, and Una, as well as George Stillman Hillard, Ethan Allen Hitchcock, Elizabeth Hoar, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Mary Peabody Mann, Elizabeth Palmer Peabody, Nathaniel Peabody, Sarah Shaw, George Palmer Tyler, and others, dating from 1822 to 1870.
Sophia Peabody Hawthorne was an American writer and the wife of the writer Nathaniel Hawthorne.
Controlled Access Terms
- Hawthorne, Sophia Peabody, 1809-1871.
- Commonplace books.
- Journals (Personal narratives).
Additional Creator Names
- Allen, N. G.
- Bright, Henry Arthur, 1830-1884.
- Cabot, Susan C.
- Dodge, Mary Abigail, 1833-1896.
- Emerson, Ralph Waldo, 1803-1882.
- Fields, James Thomas, 1817-1881.
- Foote, Mary Wilder, 1810-1857.
- Forbes, S. S.
- Greene, Anna B.
- Haven, Lydia G. Sears.
- Haven, Samuel Foster, 1806-1881.
- Hawthorne, Elizabeth Manning, 1802-1883.
- Hawthorne, Julian, 1846-1934.
- Hawthorne, Maria Louisa, d. 1852
- Hawthorne, Nathaniel, 1804-1864.
- Hawthorne, Una, 1844-1877.
- Hoar, E. H. (Elizabeth Hallett), 1822-1917.
- Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth, 1807-1882.
- Mann, Mary Tyler Peabody, 1806-1887.
- O'Sullivan, John L. (John Louis), 1813-1895.
- Peabody, Elizabeth Palmer, 1778-1853.
- Peabody, Elizabeth Palmer, 1804-1894.
- Peabody, George, 1804-1892.
- Peabody, Nathaniel, 1774-1855.
- Pritchard, William.
- Shaw, Sarah.
- Ticknor, William Davis, 1810-1864.
- Tyler, Geo. P. (George Palmer), 1809-1896.
- Tharp, Louise Hall, 1898- Peabody sisters of Salem.
- Deming, William. fmo
- Howe, W. T. H. (William Thomas Hildrup) fmo
- Howe, Joan. fmo
- Mann, Horace, 1796-1859. fmo
- Young, Owen D., 1874- fmo