- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Joseph Conrad collection of papers, 1885-1956 bulk (1896-1934).
Conrad, Joseph, 1857-1924.
- 4,563 items.
This is a synthetic collection consisting of manuscripts and typescripts by and about the author, correspondence, financial and legal documents, portraits, and pictorial works. The manuscripts and typescripts include novels, stories, plays, and essays by the author, including the holograph of "The Secret Sharer" and the typescript of "Victory," as well as essays, reviews, bibliographies, andnotes on his works by Richard Curle, Wilson Follett, Ford Madox Ford, John Galsworthy, Cecil Thomas Wood, and others. The correspondence, dating from 1885 to 1924, includes letters from the author to J. M. Barrie, Sir Sidney Colvin, J. M. Dent, Ford Madox Ford, Edward Garnett,W. T. H. Howe, James B. Pinker, T. Fisher Unwin, CatherineWillard, and others. Also present are letters relating to the author, dating from 1900 through 1956, between variouscorrespondents including Georges Aubry, Sir Sidney CarlyleCockerell, Sir Sidney Colvin, Norman Douglas, John Galsworthy, Christopher Morley, Bertrand Russell, Clement King Shorter, Thomas James Wise, J. M. Dent & Sons, William Heinemann, Ltd., Metheun & Co., James B. Pinker and Son, T. Fisher Unwin, and others. There are letters toConrad from Mary Austin, Richard Curle, J. M. Dent and Sons, Doubleday, Page & Co., Ford Madox Ford, George Gissing, Basil Macdonald Hastings, Henry James, Rudyard Kipling, Clement King Shorter, T. Fisher Unwin, and others,dating from 1896 to 1923.
Joseph Conrad was a British novelist, essayist, short-story writer, playwright, and translator.
Controlled Access Terms
- Conrad, Joseph, 1857-1924.
Additional Creator Names
- Austin, Mary Hunter, 1868-1934.
- Barrie, J. M. (James Matthew), 1860-1937.
- Cockerell, Sydney Carlyle, Sir, 1867-1962.
- Colvin, Sidney, Sir, 1845-1927.
- Curle, Richard, 1883-1968.
- Dent, J. M. (Joseph Malaby), 1849-1926.
- Douglas, Norman, 1868-1952.
- Follett, Wilson, 1887-1963.
- Ford, Ford Madox, 1873-1939.
- Galsworthy, John, 1867-1933.
- Garnett, Edward, 1868-1937.
- Gissing, George, 1857-1903.
- Hastings, Basil Macdonald, 1881-1928.
- Howe, W. T. H. (William Thomas Hildrup)
- James, Henry, 1843-1916.
- Jean-Aubry, G. (Georges), 1882-1950.
- Kipling, Rudyard, 1865-1936.
- Morley, Christopher, 1890-1957.
- Newton, A. Edward (Alfred Edward), 1864-1940.
- Pinker, James B.
- Russell, Bertrand, 1872-1970.
- Shorter, Clement King, 1857-1926.
- Unwin, T. Fisher (Thomas Fisher), 1848-1935.
- Willard, Catherine.
- Wise, Thomas James, 1859-1937.
- Wood, Cecil Thomas, 1903-
- Gordan, John Dozier, 1907-1968, donor
- Howe, W. T. H. (William Thomas Hildrup) fmo
- Kern, Jerome, 1885-1945. fmo
- Pforzheimer, Arthur. fmo
- Quinn, John, 1870-1924. fmo
- Robertson, Struan, Mrs. fmo
- Young, Owen D., 1874- fmo
- Doubleday, Page & Company.
- J.M. Dent & Sons.
- Heinemann (Firm)
- Metheun & Co.
- James B. Pinker and Son.
- T. Fisher Unwin (Firm)