- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Alfred Bendiner caricatures and related papers, 1929-19921
- 1.66 lin ft. (1 box, oversized).
The collection consists of 27 of Bendiner's original drawings and prints, primarily of actors in theatrical productions staged in Philadelphia in the early 1940s. Some have pencil notations for newspaper layouts. Actors depicted include Ethel Barrymore, Hume Cronyn, Helen Hayes, and Paul Muni. It also contains a few photocopies of drawings, programs and press releases for shows (1954-1990) of Bendiner's work, and photocopies of letters concerning gifts of his drawings after his death.
Architect, artist and author of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,Alfred Bendiner (1899-1964) drew caricatures of concerts, the theater and other subjects for the Philadelphia Evening Bulletin and other periodicals.
Controlled Access Terms
- Bendiner, Alfred, 1899-1964.
- Barrymore, Ethel, 1879-1959 -- Caricatures and cartoons.
- Cronyn, Hume -- Caricatures and cartoons.
- Hayes, Helen, 1900-1993 -- Caricatures and cartoons.
- Muni, Paul, 1895-1967 -- Caricatures and cartoons.
- Actors -- Caricatures and cartoons.
- Theater -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- Drawings.