- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Young, Thomas G. Papers
- 5 lin. ft.
The Thomas Young Papers reflect Young's involvement in thefounding and some of the daily operations of Local 32B of the Building Service Employees International Union (BSEIU),his other labor and civil service responsibilities, and his political activities. The collection consists of biographical material and files related to Local 32B of the BSEIU including the formation of the union, news clippings regarding strikes in the 1930s-1940s, and Young's speeches regarding that union and other aspects ofAmerican labor. The Organizational and Agency Affiliationsseries contains correspondence and reports from a wide variety of organizations, most notably the New York State Commission of Correction, as well as labor and political activities with which Young was involved. The collection also contains five scrapbooks that include news clippings about Local 32B's early history and strikes, and Young's service for the New York State Commission of Correction.
A native of St. Kitts, Thomas Young (1902-1998) was a founder and long-term vice president of Local 32B, Building Service Employees International Union (BSEIU), AFL-CIO. He was active in the New York State Republican Party and served as a commissioner of the New York State Commission of Correction from 1946 until the 1970s.
Controlled Access Terms
- Young, Thomas Grayson, 1902-1998.
- Republican Party (N.Y.)
- African Americans -- Political activity -- New York (State) -- New York.
- African American labor union members.
- Labor unions -- United States -- Officials and employees.
- Elections -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Labor leaders -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Service industries workers -- Labor unions -- United States.
- Service industries workers -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Black author.
Additional Creator Names
- New York (State). State Commission of Correction.
- Building Service Employees International Union. Local 32B(New York, N.Y.)