Winks, Robin W.
Photographs and Prints Division
- 7 items (1 folder)
- 1 photographic print : silver gelatin, b&w ; 12 x 20 cm.
- 4 photographic prints : silver gelatin, b&w ; 13 x 18 cm.
- 2 photographic prints : silver gelatin, b&w ; 18 x 13 cm.
The Robin W. Winks Blacks in Canada Photograph Collection consists mainly of images of black Canadian rancher John Ware, during a period from the 1890s to the early 1900s, which were compiled by Winks during research for his book "Blacks in Canada: A History," published in 1971. The collection depicts Ware in a studio portrait (ca. 1902); his wife, Mildred, and their three youngest children (ca. 1903); with his boar hound, Bismark, on his Millarville, Alberta, ranch (1891); with a team of horses on the Red Deer River (ca. 1901); in a group portrait with Millarville and Preddis ranchers (ca. 1903); and a view ofhis ranch at Millarville (ca. 1896). Also depicted is an exterior view of the Old Bog School, in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, that was erected in 1868 and used toteach both black and white students until it was closed in1898.
Robin W. Winks, an educator, researcher and author, was born in 1930. He has spent most of his teaching career atYale University and has conducted research in the areas ofrace and cultural relations.
Controlled Access Terms
- Blacks -- Canada -- History.
- Pioneers, Black -- Canada.
- School buildings -- Canada.
- Ranches -- Canada -- 1890-1909.
- Canada -- History -- 1867-1914.
- Gelatin silver prints -- 1970-1979.
- Portrait photographs -- 1970-1979.
- Group portraits -- 1970-1979.
Additional Creator Names
- Glenbow Foundation.
- p0bc Winks, Robin W. Robin W. Winks. Blacks in Canada collection, 1956-1972 (CstRLIN)NYPW89-A236