- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Alexander and Shirlene Stewart Pentecostal Collection, 1925-1993
Stewart, Alexander C., 1957- col
- .2 lin. ft.
The Alexander and Shirlene Stewart Pentecostal collection provides information on four African-American Pentecostal denominations: Church of Our Lord Jesus Christ of the Apostolic Faith, founded by Robert C. Lawson in 1919 in Harlem; Bible Way Church World Wide, founded by Smallwood Williams in 1927 as a Washington, D.C. congregation of Lawson's Church and incorporated as a denomination in 1957; Church of The Lord Jesus Christ of the Apostolic Faith, founded by Sherrod C. Johnson in 1933 after a splitwith Lawson; and United Pentecostal Council of the Assemblies of God, founded in 1919 to assist missions. Thecollection contains miscellaneous programs, news clippings,correpondence, sermons, articles, journals, and other printed material, as well as a scholarly paper on missionsby Alexander Stewart and response by Kenneth Gill.
Controlled Access Terms
- Church of Our Lord Jesus Christ of the Apostolic Faith.
- Church of The Lord Jesus Christ of the Apostalic Faith.
- Bible Way Churches of Our Lord Jesus Christ World Wide.
- Assemblies of God. United Pentecostal Council.
- African American Pentecostals.
- African American churches.
- Pentecostalism -- United States.
- African Americans -- Religion.
- Pentecostal churches -- United States.
Additional Creator Name
- Preservation of the Black Religious Heritage Project funded by the Lilly Endowment.