Black Women Oral History Project.
Manuscripts, Archives and Rare Books Division
Transcripts from the Schlesinger Library's oral history project which documented the contributions of black women 70 years or older to American life. Interviews document the lives, professional careers, and voluntary activities of women nationwide and focus on their contributions in a wide variety of fields including medicine, law, business, the arts, social work, education, politics, and civil rights. Interviews include Christia Adair, Frances Albrier,Sadie Alexander, Elizabeth Cardozo Barker, Etta Moten Barnett, May Edward Chinn, Alfreda Duster, Mae Eberhardt, Lena Edwards, Zelma George, Frances Grant, Ardie Halyard, Pleasant Harrison, Dorothy Height, Margaret Cardozo Holmes,Lois Mailou Jones, Virginia Jones, Maida Kemp, Catherine Cardozo Lewis, Audley Moore, Muriel Snowden, Olivia Stokes,Ann Tanneyhill, Constance Thomas, Era Bell Thompson, Charleszett Waddles, Dorothy West and Deborah Wofe.
Controlled Access Terms
- Adair, Christia, 1893-
- Albrier, Frances Mary, 1898-1987.
- Alexander, Sadie Tanner Mossell, 1898-1989.
- Barnett, Etta Moten, 1902-
- Chinn, May Edward, 1896-
- Duster, Alfreda, 1904-
- Eberhardt, Mae Massie, 1915-
- Edwards-Madison, Lena Frances.
- George, Zelma Watson, 1903-
- Grant, Frances O. (Frances Olivia), 1895-
- Halyard, Ardie Clark.
- Harrison, Pleasant, 1915-
- Height, Dorothy I. (Dorothy Irene), 1912-
- Hill, May Edwards.
- Holmes, Margaret, 1898-
- Hunter, Clementine.
- Jones, Lois Mailou.
- Jones, Susie, 1892-
- Jones, Virginia Lacy, 1912-1984.
- Kemp, Maida Springer.
- Kittrell, Flemmie P. (Flemmie Pansy), 1904-1980.
- Lewis, Catherine Cardozo.
- Moore, Audley, 1898-
- Snowden, Muriel S. (Muriel Sutherland), 1916-
- Stokes, Olivia Pearl, 1916-
- Tanneyhill, Ann.
- Thomas, Constance, 1917-
- Thompson, Era Bell.
- Waddles, Charleszetta, 1912-
- Walker, Margaret, 1915-1998.
- West, Dorothy, 1909-
- Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History ofWomen in America.
- African American women -- History.
- African Americans in medicine.
- African American physicians.
- African Americans in business.
- African American women artists.
- African American arts.
- African Americans -- Civil rights.
- African American women -- Political activity.
- African American women -- Education.
- African American teachers.
- African American lawyers.
- African American executives.
- African American social workers.
- Women social workers.
- Women educators.
- Women journalists.
- Women lawyers.
- Women librarians.
- Women musicians.
- Women volunteers in social service.
- Women in the civil service.
- Women in community development.
- Women in medicine.
- Women -- Political activity.
- Women labor union members.
- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Oral histories.