- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Alexander, Jesse N., Jr., Papers
Alexander, Jesse N.
- 6 lin. ft.
Use of this collection requires advance notice.
Personal office files of Alexander reflecting his leadership role with the National YMCA, including records of the Human Rights Unit consisting of correspondence, 1975-1979; affirmative action reports; speeches and historical profiles of black YMCAs prepared for the 125th anniversary celebration of the YMCA; reports on the efforts made by the YMCA regarding equal employment opportunities; reports dealing with the struggles and continued existence of black YMCAs, and publications. Also, records of the National Conference of Black and Non-White YMCA Volunteers and Staff including minutes of the board of directors, correspondence, conference reports, membership lists, budgets, and publications, 1969-1980.
Executive Director of Black and Non-White YMCA Volunteers and Staff, 1969-1981, and Director of the Human Rights Unit of the National YMCA, 1973-1981.
Controlled Access Terms
- Alexander, Jesse N.
- YMCA of the USA. Human Rights Unit.
- National Conference of Black and Non-White YMCA Volunteersand Staff.
- Young Men's Christian associations -- Membership.
- Associations, institutions, etc. -- African American membership.
- Affirmative action programs -- United States.
- Human rights -- United States.
- Discrimination in employment -- United States.
- African Americans -- Employment.
- African Americans -- Societies, etc.
- Social work with African Americans.
- African Americans -- Civil rights.
- United States -- Social conditions -- 1960-1980.
- United States -- Economic conditions -- 1945-