- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
William Robyn oral history interviews / by Tim Brooks.
Brooks, Tim. ivr
6 sound cassettes : analog, mono.
Interviews recorded for an article published in the ARSC Journal. Robyn discusses his early life in Latvia and arrival in America, as well as his career, recordings, andacquaintances between 1919-1931. He also discusses his birthname, (Rubin) and use of many pseudonyms, including Wolf Scarpioff, John Spear, Edward Hamilton, and Mario Rubinoff, among others while he was performing in vaudeville and recording. He recorded first for Emerson, but then for Columbia, Pathe, Okeh, Brunswick, and Victor.Topics discussed include Cameo Records, Eugene Ormandy, "Roxy" (Samuel Rothafel) and the Roxy Theater, and variousother music halls. Also discusses recording processes andstudios, radio, his records, and "Roxy's Gang" of which hewas a member.
Controlled Access Terms
- Robyn, William, 1894-1996 -- Interviews.
- Rice, Gladys, soprano -- Interviews.
- Stanbury, Douglas -- Interviews.
- Ormandy, Eugene, 1899-1985.
- Rothafel, Samuel Lionel, 1881-1936.
- Roxy Theatre (New York, N.Y.)
- Cameo Records (Firm)
- Vaudeville -- United States.
- Radio programs, Musical -- United States -- History.
- Sound -- Recording and reproducing -- History.
- Sound recordings -- History.
Additional Creator Names
- Robyn, William, 1894-1996. ive
- Rice, Gladys, soprano. ive
- Stanbury, Douglas. ive
- Gift of Tim Brooks.