Schuman, William, 1910-1992.
Rodgers and Hammerstein Archives of Recorded Sound
- 1 sound disc : analog, 33 1/3 rpm ; 12 in.
- 1 sound disc : analog ; 7 in.
- 1 sound disc : analog ; 10 in.
- 126 sound cassetttes : analog.
Access to original recordings is restricted.
The majority of the collection consists of works by Schuman which were recorded between 1939 and 1992. Also included in the collection are works by other composers such as: Aaron Copland; Paul Creston; Roy Harris; David Lieberman ; Walter Piston; and Quincy Porter.
Some of the performers represented in the collection are: BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra; Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center; Eastman School of Music Orchestra; Juilliard String Quartet; New York Philharmonic; and the St. Olaf Choir.
Some of the conductors represented in the collection are: Leonard Bernstein; Michael Charry; Dorothy Klotzman; Samuel Krachmalnick; Brock McElheran; and Jorge Mester.
William Schuman was an American composer and educator. Hewas an instructor at Sarah Lawrence College (1935-1945), president of the Juilliard School of Music (1945-1962), director of publications for G. Schirmer (1945-1952), and president of Lincoln Center (1962-1968). In the 1970's hewas chairman of the Norlin Foundation and of the MacDowellColony. He was a founding director of the Charles Ives Society, and a member of the board of the American Academyand Institute of Arts and Letters, the Naumber and Koussevitzky Foundations, and of the Chamber Music Societyof Lincoln Center and the Film Society of Lincoln Center, organizations which he founded. Mr. Schuman died Feb. 15,1992.
Additional Creator Names
- Copland, Aaron, 1900-1990. cmp
- Creston, Paul, 1906-1985. cmp
- Harris, Roy, 1898-1979. cmp
- Piston, Walter, 1894-1976. cmp
- Porter, Quincy, 1897-1966. cmp
- Bernstein, Leonard, 1918-1990. cnd
- Charry, Michael. cnd
- McElheran, Brock. cnd
- Klotzman, Dorothy Hill. cnd
- Krachmalnick, Samuel. cnd
- Mester, Jorge. cnd
- Eastman Philharmonia. prf
- Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center. prf
- St. Olaf Choir (St. Olaf College) prf
- New York Philharmonic. prf
- Juilliard String Quartet. prf
- c2pc William Schuman Papers and records (CstRLIN)NYPW86-A45.