- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Collection of musicals and interviews, 1926-1980.
Rodgers, Richard, 1902-1979.
- 362 sound recordings : analog.
- 174 sound discs : analog.
- 184 sound tape reels : analog.
- 4 sound cassettes : analog.
Access to acetate discs restricted ; advance notification required.
The collection contains commercial discs and noncommercialrecordings; the latter containing interviews with Rodgers and his family and friends, performances of his music by contemporary performers, as well as radio and television programs that have used Rodgers' music.
The noncommercial items in the collection include excerpts from radio and television series and a number of interviews made with Rodgers including the complete interviews made for the BBC's The Life and Music of Richard Rodgers radio program.
The funeral service of Richard Rodgers is also included in the collection.
Richard Rodgers, born on 28 June 1902 and died 30 December1979, composed music for forty Broadway musicals, one Broadway play, three London musicals, ten film musicals, two television musicals, 2 documentaries, one night club review, and one ballet. He is known as a humanitarian and philanthropist as well as an influential composer.
Rodgers received many personal and professional awards including membership in the National Institute of Arts andLetters, Department of Music (now American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters) and made numerous philanthropic contributions in the area of music theater production and preservation, most prominently (through theRodgers and Hammerstein Foundation) by founding, in 1965, the Rodgers and Hammerstein Archives of Recorded Sound at the Performing Arts Research Center of the New York PublicLibrary.
Controlled Access Terms
- Rodgers, Richard, 1902-1979 -- Interviews.
- Radio programs, Musical -- United States.
- Television musicals -- United States.
Additional Creator Names
- Allen, Steve, 1921-2000. prf
- Ameche, Don. prf
- Arden, Victor, 1893-1962. prf
- Bailey, Pearl. prf
- Bauer, Franklyn. prf
- Benny, Jack, 1894-1974. prf
- Berle, Milton. prf
- Berlin, Irving, 1888-1989. prf
- Burns, George, 1896-1996. prf
- Cagney, James, 1899-1986. prf
- Chevalier, Maurice, 1888-1972. prf
- Clark, Buddy. prf
- Como, Perry, 1912-2001. prf
- Coward, Noel, 1899-1973. prf
- Crosby, Bing, 1903-1977. prf
- Davis, Sammy, 1925-1990. prf
- Day, Doris, 1924- prf
- De Mille, Agnes. prf
- Dickey, Annamary. prf
- Drake, Alfred, 1914-1992. prf
- Eddy, Nelson, 1901-1967. prf
- Faith, Percy, 1908-1976. prf
- Fisher, Eddie. prf
- Fitzgerald, Ella. prf
- Forrest, Helen. prf
- Garland, Judy. prf
- Hammerstein, Oscar, 1895-1960. lyr
- Hart, Lorenz, 1895-1943. lyr
- Heatherton, Ray. prf
- Henderson, Skitch, 1918-2005. cnd
- Jolson, Al, d. 1950. prf
- Jones, Allan, 1907-1992. prf
- Kaye, Danny. prf
- Keller, Greta. prf
- Kostelanetz, Andre, 1901-1980. cnd
- Langford, Frances. prf
- La Rosa, Julius. prf
- Lawrence, Steve. prf
- Lillie, Beatrice, 1894-1989. prf
- Littler, Emile. prf
- Lombardo, Guy, 1902-1977. prf
- Martin, Mary, 1913-1990. prf
- Marx, Groucho, 1890-1977. prf
- Murray, Wyn.
- Melton, James, 1904-1961. prf
- Paul, Les. prf
- Peerce, Jan, 1904-1984. prf
- Powell, Jane, 1929- prf
- Reiner, Fritz, 1888-1963. cnd
- Rooney, Mickey. prf
- Shore, Dinah, 1917-1994. prf
- Sinatra, Frank, 1915-1998. prf
- Stevens, Risë, 1913- prf
- Steber, Eleanor. prf
- Streater, Ted. prf
- Tormé, Mel, 1925-1999. prf
- Traubel, Helen. prf
- Vallée, Rudy, 1901-1986. prf
- Verrett, Shirley. prf
- Walter, Cy.
- Waring, Fred, 1900-1984. cnd
- Whiting, Margaret. prf
- Wright, Martha. prf
- Andre Kostelanetz show (Radio program)
- Best of all (Radio program)
- Coca-Cola program (Radio program)
- Eddie Fisher show (Television program)
- Fred Allen show (Radio program)
- Fred Waring and his orchestra (Radio program)
- March of time (Radio program)
- Million dollar band (Radio program)
- Prudential hour (Radio program)
- RCA Victor show (Radio program)
- Railroad hour (Radio program)
- Singing lady (Radio program)
- Tex and Jinx show (Radio program)
- Theatre Guild on the air (Radio program)
- Today (Radio program)
- Tonight (Television program)
- Tune up time (Radio program)
- Rudy Valley program (Radio program)
- Batte un cuore Genovese per Richard Rodgers (Radio program)
- War savings program (Radio program)
- Invasion day (Radio program)
- Life and music of Richard Rodgers (Radio program)
- Millions for defense (Radio program)
- TV Navy project (Television program)
- Tribute to Lorenz Hart (Radio program)
- Victory at sea (Television program)
- Richard Rodgers papers, sound recordings and music. (CStRLIN)NYPW96-A28.