Peerce, Jan, 1904-1984.
Rodgers and Hammerstein Archives of Recorded Sound
- 698 sound recordings.
- 7 video recordings (DVD) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
Collection is open to the public. Users never directly handle sound recordings. Listening selections are transmitted through a playback system. Original items which have not been transferred may require advance notification for use.
Access to original items restricted.
The collection contains non-commercial recordings of live and recorded performances and interviews of Jan Peerce spanning the years 1938-1983. The collection also features performers such as: singers Zinka Milanov, Roberta Peters, Leonard Warren, Cesare Siepi, Robert Merrill, Lawrence Tibbett, Virginia Raye and Viola Philo ;conductors Arturo Toscanini, Fausto Cleva, Harry Horlick and David Rubinoff ; and interviewers Ed Sullivan, Johnny Carson and Mike Douglas. Radio and television (audio only)programs included are: The A & P Gypsies, Radio City MusicHall On the Air, Carnegie Hall, The Chevrolet Hour, The EdSullivan Show, The Mike Douglas Show, and The Tonight Show. Works featured are selections from operas such as "La boheme," "I pagliacci," "Don Giovanni," "Cavalleria Rusticana," "La traviata," "Lucia di Lammermoor" and "Rigoletto" ; musicals such as "Fiddler on the Roof" ; andsongs by Handel and Schubert, among others.
Jan Peerce was a noted American tenor. He was born in NewYork on Jun. 3, 1904, and died on Dec. 15, 1984. He was engaged as a singer at Radio City Music Hall in 1932, and made his operatic debut in Philadelphia as the Duke in "Rigoletto" on May 14, 1938. His Metropolitan Opera debut was on Nov. 29, 1941, as Alfredo in "La traviata." In addition to opera, he also sang musical theater, most notably in "Fiddler on the Roof," and Jewish religious andsecular music. His final appearance at the Met was in 1968,and he retired in 1982.
Controlled Access Terms
- Peerce, Jan, 1904-1984
- Musicals -- Excerpts.
- Radio programs, Musical -- United States.
- Television programs.
- Variety shows (Television programs)
- Television talk shows.
- Jews -- Music.
- Synagogue music.
Additional Creator Names
- Peters, Roberta, 1930- prf
- Milanov, Zinka. prf
- Warren, Leonard, 1911-1960. prf
- Siepi, Cesare. prf
- Merrill, Robert, 1917-2004 prf
- Toscanini, Arturo, 1867-1957. cnd
- Tibbett, Lawrence, 1896-1960. prf
- Horlick, Harry. cnd
- Cleva, Fausto. cnd
- Raye, Virginia. prf
- Rubinoff, David, 1897- cnd
- Philo, Viola. prf
- Sullivan, Ed, 1901-1974. prf
- Douglas, Mike. cmm
- Carson, Johnny, 1925-2005. cmm
- Puccini, Giacomo, 1858-1924. Bohème. Selections.
- Leoncavallo, Ruggiero, 1858-1919. Pagliacci. Vesti la giubba.
- Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus, 1756-1791. Don Giovanni. Selections.
- Bock, Jerry. Fiddler on the roof. Selections.
- Mascagni, Pietro, 1863-1945. Cavalleria rusticana. Selections.
- Verdi, Giuseppe, 1813-1901. Traviata. Selections.
- Donizetti, Gaetano, 1797-1848. Lucia di Lammermoor. Selections.
- Verdi, Giuseppe, 1813-1901. Rigoletto. Selections.
- Handel, George Frideric, 1685-1759. Vocal music. Selections.
- Schubert, Franz, 1797-1828. Songs. Selections.