Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870.
Pforzheimer Collection of Shelley and His Circle
Restricted access; Pforzheimer Collection; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
· To William Allingham, poet : 2 letters : -- 1 autographletter third person : 5 Jul 1850 : (MISC 1401a) : regarding permission to publish verses from the Household Words journal. -- 1 autograph letter signed : 29 Dec 1851:(MISC 1401b) : acknowledging receipt of his paper, and giving praise. -- Both letters to William Allingham mounted in the album of 59 letters to William Allingham. Shelved under "Allingham" with bound manuscript materials.
· To Lady Blessington, writer and literary hostess : 4 letters : -- 1 printed circular : 7 Jul 1842 : (BLES 2.130) : from 1, Devonshire Terrace, York Gate, Regent's Park : begins, "You may parhaps be aware that during my stay in America, I lost no opportunity of endeavouring to awaken the public mind to a sense of the unjust and inquitous state of the law in that country, in reference to the wholesale piracy of British works."; with autographsalutation and address in ink. -- 1 autograph letter signed : 8 Dec 1844 : (BLES 2.131) : from Covent Garden : begins, "Business for other people (and by no means of a pleasant kind) has held me prisoner during two whole days ..."-- 1 autograph letter signed : 6 Dec 1844 : (BLES 2.132) : from Piazza Coffee House : begins, "My proofs have been delayed. I send them to you the moment I receivethem ..." -- 1 autograph letter signed : 23 Jun 1847 : (BLES 2.133) : from Piazza Coffee House, Covent Garden : begins, "I offer no apology for soliciting your attention to the enclosed document, feeling assured that it addresses itself to all who are known to sympathise, by tase and education, with what is good in English Literature ..." -- All letters to Lady Blessinton mounted in v. 2 of the Blessington Papers. Shelved with oversized manuscript volumes.
· To Sir John Bowring, politician, diplomat, and writer :1 autograph letter signed : 15 Jul 1843 : (MISC 1767) : explaining why he must miss an appointment.
Charles Dickens, English novelist.
Controlled Access Terms
- Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870. Correspondence.
- Authors, English -- 19th century -- Correspondence.
Additional Creator Names
- Allingham, William, 1824-1889. rcp
- Blessington, Marguerite, Countess of, 1789-1849. rcp
- Bowring, John, 1792-1872. rcp
- Carl H. Pforzheimer Collection of Shelley and His Circle: Manuscripts, 1772-1925