- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
William Lisle Bowles manuscript material
Bowles, William Lisle, 1762-1850.
- 8 items
Restricted access; Pforzheimer Collection; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
· Holograph account of the Byron Controversy : ca. 1820 (B'ANA 0599), 5 pages.
· To R. Cruttwell, his Bath publisher : 1 autograph letter signed : 3 Feb 1829 (MISC 3913), regarding the forthcoming second edition of Bowles's Days Departed. ThisR. Cruttwell is probably the son and successor to Richard Cruttwell of Bath that died in 1799 (cf. British Book Trade Index).
· To Richard Kenner (acting for Messrs. Galignani) : 1 letter : ca. 1829 (MISC 3392), third person, on the arrangement of an edition of his works.
· To John Ledyard Phillips of Melksham, in Wiltshire : 1 autograph letter signed : 17 Oct 1822 (MISC 0377), apparently answering a question about book circulation.
· To Robert Southey, poet : 4 autograph letters signed : -- 11 Feb 1815 : (MISC 0375) : thanking him for his noticein the Quarterly review ; asks his opinion of The Missionary ; mentions that Coleridge is in his neighborhood. -- 30 Dec 1815 : (MISC 0376) : asking further advice on The Missionary. -- 22 Oct 1820 : (MISC 0374) : regarding Octavius Gilchrist's attack on Bowles. -- ca. 1834 : (MISC 0373) : begins: "Our Penates, & Mrs. Bowles & myself, will be rejoiced to welcome you & your son ..." ; mentions the death of Coleridge.
William Lisle Bowles, English clergyman and poet. His poetry was admired by Coleridge, but he is best known for his ten-volume edition of the works of Alexander Pope, in which he criticized Pope's morals as well as his poetry. This work revived a scholarly dispute about Pope's proper place in the poetic hierarchy, and drew much criticism, nost notably from Lord Byron.
Controlled Access Terms
- Bowles, William Lisle, 1762-1850 -- Correspondence.
- Byron, George Gordon Byron, Baron, 1788-1824.
- Clergy -- Great Britain -- 19th century -- Correspondence.
- Poets, English -- 19th century -- Correspondence.
- Critics -- Great Britain -- 19th century -- Correspondence.
Additional Creator Names
- Cruttwell, R. (Richard) rcp
- Kenner, Richard. rcp
- Phillips, John Ledyard. rcp
- Southey, Robert, 1774-1843. rcp
- A. and W. Galignani and Co. rcp
- Carl H. Pforzheimer Collection of Shelley and His Circle: Manuscripts, 1772-1925