- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Charles Babbage manuscript material
Babbage, Charles, 1791-1871.
- 1 item
Restricted access; Pforzheimer Collection; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
· To Lady Byron, wife of the poet : 1 autograph letter signed : 5 Feb 1840 : (B'ANA 0664) : discussing his research on earthquakes.
Charles Babbage, mathematician and computer pioneer. He ignited a love for mathematics in a young Ada Byron in 1833 with a presentation to her of his first analytical engine, and her Sketch of the analytical engine invented by Charles Babbage was published in Taylor's Scientific Memoirs in 1843. According to Lady Byron's diaries, Ada was touched by the "universality of his ideas."
Controlled Access Terms
- Babbage, Charles, 1791-1871 -- Correspondence.
- Scientists -- Great Britain -- 19th century -- Correspondence.
- Seismology -- Research
Additional Creator Names
- Byron, Anne Isabella Milbanke Byron, Baroness, 1792-1860. rcp
- Carl H. Pforzheimer Collection of Shelley and His Circle: Manuscripts, 1772-1925