- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Alfred Austin manuscript material
Austin, Alfred, 1835-1913.
- 5 items
Restricted access; Pforzheimer Collection; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
· Holograph poem, "Cor Cordium" [reflections at the tomb of Shelley] : Apr 1863 : (S'ANA 0002) : also published as:"At Shelley's Grave." A note at the foot of p. 1 tells of the "severely neglected" state in which he found Shelley'stomb.
· Manuscript poem, "Shelley's Death" : [no date] : (S'ANA0182) : fair copy on lined paper. Although signed, it is not certain that the hand is that of Austin.
· To Teresa Guiccioli, Lord Byron's "last attachment" : 3autograph letters signed : Sep-Nov 1869 : (B'ANA 0443-0445) : from Ashford, Kent, and Florence : the first sending her a copy of his Vindication of Lord Byron (book not present).
Alfred Austin, English poet and critic, was heavily influenced by Byron. He made several trips to Italy following the cold public reception to his epic-type narrative poem The Human Tragedy in 1862. Austin was appointed poet laureate in 1896.
Controlled Access Terms
- Austin, Alfred, 1835-1913 -- Correspondence.
- Shelley, Percy Bysshe, 1792-1822 -- Poetry.
- Shelley, Percy Bysshe, 1792-1822 -- Tomb.
- Poets, English -- 19th century -- Correspondence.
- Critics -- Great Britain -- 19th century -- Correspondence.
- English poetry -- 19th century -- Manuscripts -- Specimens.
Additional Creator Names
- Guiccioli, Teresa, contessa di, 1800-1873. rcp
- Carl H. Pforzheimer Collection of Shelley and His Circle: Manuscripts, 1772-1925