Arnold, Edwin, Sir, 1832-1904.
Pforzheimer Collection of Shelley and His Circle
Restricted access; Pforzheimer Collection; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
· To J. W. Dalby : 1 autograph letter signed : 26 Jun 1865 : (MISC 1284) : begins, "Do not measure, by my delay in replying to your note (& its accompanying verses) the gratification which they gave me ..."
· To "Dear Walford" : 1 autograph note signed : [no date]: (MISC 2044) : begins, "Here is a pretty Canzona of Petrarch's ..."
Sir Edwin Arnold, English poet. He is best known for his poem "The Light of Asia," about the life and teachings of Siddhartha Gautama, the founder of Buddhism. Some credit Arnold's work with playing a role in the popularization ofBuddhism in the West (cf. W. Peiris, Edwin Arnold: brief account of his life and contribution to Buddhism).
Controlled Access Terms
- Arnold, Edwin, Sir, 1832-1904 -- Correspondence.
- Poets, English -- 19th century -- Correspondence.
Additional Creator Names
- Dalby, J. W. rcp
- Carl H. Pforzheimer Collection of Shelley and His Circle: Manuscripts, 1772-1925