- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
John Leycester Adolphus manuscript material
Adolphus, John Leycester, 1795-1862.
- 2 items
Restricted access; Pforzheimer Collection; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
· Transcript Byron's poem "Condolatory Address to Sarah, Countess of Jersey, on the Prince Regent's Returning her Picture to Mrs. Lee" : [after 1837] : (B'ANA 0197) : 3 p.;with Adolphus's critical commentary of the poem. Bound into v. 4 of the Adolphus-Murray set of Byron and Byronana.
· To the Rev. Thomas Maude : 1 autograph letter signed : 17 Jul 1839 : (MISC 1586) : from York; begins, "In case I should not have an opportunity of seeing you before your departure ..."
John Leycester Adolphus, British barrister and writer. In his critical essay, Letters to Richard Heber (1821), he demonstrates Walter Scott's previously unacknowledged authorship of the Waverley novels.
Controlled Access Terms
- Adolphus, John Leycester, 1795-1862 -- Correspondence.
- Byron, George Gordon Byron, Baron, 1788-1824 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Authors, English -- 19th century -- Correspondence.
- English poetry -- 19th century -- Manuscripts -- Specimens.
Additional Creator Names
- Maude, Thomas, Reverend. rcp
- Carl H. Pforzheimer Collection of Shelley and His Circle: Manuscripts, 1772-1925