- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Images of the New York City Opera / by Fred Fehl.
Fehl, Fred, photographer.
- 1667 slides ; col.
- 3314 photographic prints : silver gelatin, b&w ; 5 x 7 in.
- ca. 3000 film negatives : safety ; 4 x 6 in. or smaller.
- ca. 150 film negatives : nitrate ; 4 x 6 in. or smaller.
The Music Division collection consists primarily of image documentation of the New York City Opera from its inception in 1944 through 1980, as well as City Opera related images (staff, functions, etc.). There are also undated photographs of many rehearsals and some performances at Lewisohn Stadium, a small collection of photographs of composers in action, chiefly in the 1940's,and some images of other musical activity in New York City. The Music Division acquired the collection in two parts; an earlier set of photographs was added to the General Iconography and Opera Files. This later collectionis separate, although it includes the negatives for many photographs from the earlier set. Wherever possible, concordance has been provided by the finding aid.
Since his arrival in New York City in 1939, Viennese-born Fred Fehl has devoted his life to photographing the performing arts. A pioneer in taking candid photographs during performances with available stage lighting, Fehl has documented productions from Broadway, the New York City Opera and Ballet, and American Ballet Theater.
Controlled Access Terms
- New York City Opera.
- Lewisohn Stadium (New York, N.Y.).
- Opera -- Production and direction.
- Theaters -- Stage-setting and scenery.
- Costumes -- 1940-1989.
- Conductors -- 1940-1989.
- Musicians -- 1940-1989.
- Opera houses -- 1940-1989.
- Operas & operettas -- 1940-1989.
- Singers -- 1940-1989.
- Negatives -- 1940-1989.
- Slides -- Color -- 1940-1989.
- Silver gelatin prints -- 1940-1989.
- Portrait photographs -- 1940-1989.
- Portraits -- 1940-1989,
Additional Creator Name
- American Music Collection.