Manuscripts and Archives Division
- 4.85 linear feet (14 boxes).
Advance notice required. Apply at http://www.nypl.org/mssref
The Edward A. Allworth papers, 1944-1994, document his interest in and research on ethnic minority groups and thequestion of nationality in Soviet Central Asia, including reference to the Soviet conflict in Afghanistan. Populations represented in the collection are Crimean Tatars, Uzbeks, Tajiks and Bukharan Jews. The collection,arranged by ethnic group, consists of correspondence, manuscripts, research files and statistical analysis, photographs, oral history and interview recordings, biographical scrapbooks, printed matter, and a small amount of personal miscellany.
Edward A. Allworth is Professor Emeritus of Turco-Soviet Studies in the Middle Eastern and Asian Languages and Cultures Department of Columbia University.
Controlled Access Terms
- Crimean Tatars -- Civil rights -- Soviet Union.
- Jews, Bukharan.
- Minorities -- Soviet Union.
- Nationalism -- Asia, Central.
- Afghanistan -- History -- Soviet occupation, 1979-1989.
- Soviet Union -- Ethnic relations.
- Sound recordings.
- College teachers -- United States.
Additional Creator Names
- Aimaq, Faizullah.
- Allworth, Edward.
- Dzhemilev, Reshat.
- Muḣib, 1911-