Gardiner, Allen Francis.
Manuscripts and Archives Division
- 1 v. (213 p.) ; ill. ; 24 cm.
Advance notice required. Apply at http://www.nypl.org/mssref
A narrative of Gardiner's voyages and travels as an officer of H.M.S. Dauntless from England to Ceylon, with excursions to Sumatra, Malaysia, the Philippines and China,January 1820-February 1821. The volume describes the natural landscape, architecture, and social and religious customs of inhabitants at places visited, including Trincomalee, Malacca, Singapore, Manila, Macao, Canton, and Kandy, with several line drawings of town plans, artifacts, etc. The journal concludes with an account of Gardiner's coastal and inland passage to Kandy and back, during the refitting of the Dauntless at Trincomalee.
Allen Francis Gardiner (1794-1851) was a British naval officer, explorer and missionary.
Controlled Access Terms
- Gardiner, Allen Francis.
- Dauntless (Ship)
- Voyages and travels -- Religious aspects.
- China -- Description and travel.
- Islands -- China -- Macau (Special Administrative Region) -- Description and travel.
- Great Britain. Royal Navy -- Officers -- Diaries.
- Malaya -- Description and travel.
- Philippines -- Description and travel.
- Sri Lanka -- Description and travel.
- Sumatra (Indonesia) -- Description and travel.