Manuscripts and Archives Division
- 2.5 linear feet (5 boxes, 5 v.)
- William Hackett papers: 1 microfilm reel.
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Selected papers must be viewed on positive microfilm.
The Hudson collection consists of mid-17th through early 19th-century correspondence, accounts, legal documents, land papers, business records, and shipping papers of families living in the Essex County, Massachusetts, towns of Newburyport, Salisbury and Amesbury; also in Boston, New York City and Rumford (now Concord), New Hampshire. Papers document family matters; seafaring; land transactions; and trade between New England and New York, and the West Indies, Great Britain, Russia (Archangel), and other New World and European ports. Bulk of papers documents the intermarried Hudson and Rogers families who lived in Newburyport, with branches in New York and Boston,mid-18th through early-19th centuries. Also included are papers of members of the related Balch family of Newburyport, 1766-1837; the True family of Salisbury, 1659-1835; and the Rolfe family of Rumford, New Hampshire. Some additional personal, town, church, school, business, and ship papers are in the collection.
Controlled Access Terms
- Franklin, Benjamin, 1706-1790 -- Estate.
- Balch family.
- Hodges family.
- Hudson family.
- Morse family.
- Rogers family.
- Rolfe family.
- True family.
- America (Ship)
- Delight (Ship)
- Eunomous (Ship)
- Massachusetts (Ship)
- Success (Ship)
- Shipping -- Massachusetts.
- Shipbuilding -- Massachusetts.
- Salt industry and trade -- Massachusetts.
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- America -- Commerce.
- Massachusetts -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775.
- Massachusetts -- History -- 1775-1865.
- Massachusetts -- Social life and customs -- To 1775.
- Massachusetts -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.
- Merchant mariners.
- Ship captains.
Additional Creator Names
- Hackett, William.
- Hudson, Anna Rogers, d. 1831.
- Hudson, Henry, 1748-1823.
- Hudson, James, 1719-1792.
- Hudson, John Rogers, 1784-1831.
- Morrill, Ezra, 1787-1809.
- Morse, Benjamin.
- Rogers, John, 1743-1803.
- Rogers, Mary Davenport.
- True, Henry, 1644-1735.
- True, Jabez, b. 1764.
- True, Samuel.
- Joseph Ingersoll & Company (Newburyport, Mass.)