Manuscripts and Archives Division
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
The Rudy Grillo sound recordings consist chiefly of audiotapes of Gay Rap and other gay radio programs broadcast on WBAI, 1970-1989, with a small amount of correspondence and printed material related to his research and work as a radio producer at WBAI. Topics covered include gay and lesbian activism, celebrations, music and celebrity interviews. Also present are his recordings of Gay Activists Alliance meetings and events, 1971-1973, and miscellaneous recordings on gay issues. Printed material includes program playlists, program guides, and newspaper clippings.
Rudy Grillo was a producer of radio programs for WBAI-FM in New York City. In 1980 Grillo was promoted to the position of Program Director of WBAI's Gay Men's Department, which he held until its dissolution in 1982.
Controlled Access Terms
- Grillo, Rudy.
- Alternative radio broadcasting -- United States.
- Gay liberation movement -- United States.
- Gay rights -- United States.
- Homosexuality and music -- United States.
- Lesbians -- United States.
- National March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights, Washington, D.C., 1979.
- Radio programs for gays -- United States.
- Stonewall Riots, New York, N.Y., 1969.
- Sound recordings.
- Radio producers and directors.
Additional Creator Names
- Crisp, Quentin. ive
- Little Richard. ive
- Praunheim, Rosa von, 1942- ive
- Gay Activists Alliance.
- WBAI Radio (New York, N.Y.)
- Pacifica Radio.
- Gay rap (Radio program)