New York Public Library. Aguilar Branch.
Manuscripts and Archives Division
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Records include brochures, clippings and program information documenting branch activities from 1912-1996.
The Aguilar Branch of The New York Public Library traces its origins to The Aguilar Free Library Society, an institution founded in 1896 to provide reading material toJewish immigrants.
It was named for Grace Aguilar, a Sephardic Jewish author. In 1905, the institution merged with The New York Public Library and moved into a new building on East 110thStreet, designed by architects Herts and Tallant and builtwith funds donated by Andrew Carnegie. At this location the branch served Jewish and Italian immigrant populations. After World War II, an influx of Puerto Ricanand other Spanish-speaking newcomers led tothe creation ofan extensive collection of materials in Spanish. Aguilar was renovated in 1996 as part of the Library's Adopt-A-Branch program. Program and collections include a LanguageLearning Center for adults, small collections of books in French, Chinese, Arabic, and Urdu, and a Community Information Service Collection.
Controlled Access Terms
- New York Public Library. Aguilar Branch.
- Libraries -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Branch libraries.
- Public libraries -- New York (State) -- New York.